Friday, June 03, 2005

learning...

"42nd Street" is definitely going to be a learning experience for me. That's not to say that every show I've done hasn't been a learning experience; they all have been, in one way or another. But this one is slightly different...

I've been dancing in community theatre shows since October of 2000, when I did "Brigadoon"; I've also done shows in which I'm in nearly every dance--some of them pretty tough for me...a gal who hasn't had a formal dance lesson in probably about 15 years or more. So "I'm-not-a-dancer-but-I-play-one-on-stage-Stacey" doing a super quick, tough (in my opinion, anyway) tap dance number? Well, that's where the learning experience comes in to play. I've been told that I'm a good dancer, and to an extent, I think I'm decent at it. But I never realized or fathomed how difficult tap dancing would be for me. And I have no idea why. But for some reason, my feet just seem to get tangled up bc they go whichever way they want and do whatever they want to do, while my mind is powerless to stop them. I get so terribly frustrated with myself, and I'm so hard on myself; it's ridiculous. My three favorite phrases while I'm dancing are usually: "Piss!", "Sh*t!", and the ever-popular "F*ck!" So if that explains anything, you can probably imagine--at least a little bit--what a difficult time I'm having. Hopefully, though, with LOTS of PRACTICE, I'll be able to pick it up...or at least be able to fake it really well...

Anyways. Rehearsal last night was alright, but kinda long and grueling. Dancers met up there 1/2 hour early, at 6:30 p.m., to go over the aforementioned tap dance and two other dances. Then the entire cast blocked the remainder of Act I--which is incredibly long--and the entirety of Act II.

Celebratory libations were once again provided after rehearsal--for the second time this year already; thank you, Charlie & Bob--along with pizza...delivered right to the parking lot of DuBourg where we were standing around drinking. (Thank you, Adrienne and Teri.) A friend and I were remarking that we really need to stop drinking...but don't see it happening anytime soon. Knowing how I felt Wednesday when I got up for work (after doing shots the night before) and this morning when I got up for work (after downing Bud Lights, Budweiser, and Miller Lights wayyy too quickly), it SHOULD make it a bit easier to slow up...But again, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Am getting a bit more excited about the show, though, so that makes me happy. Not as excited as I could be, but I think once I know the dances and they're stored in my memory, I'll be able to relax a bit more and not stress over it so much. Then I can really kick back and 110% enjoy everything!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home