Tuesday, July 19, 2005

missing

Why was I in a sappy mood Saturday night after poker? And why did I end up bawling--a good cry--in the car on the way home from Dennis & Jenny's? Here's why:
I always miss my grandpa. And that is one reason I cry during curtain call. There is one specific song, by Garth Brooks, that always stops me dead in my tracks and makes me think of him: "It's Your Song". I can remember, my Senior year in highschool, grandpa came to see "Bye Bye, Birdie" with grandma and some other family members. He may have come to other shows I did in highschool, but this is THE ONE I really remember. It was my final (or so I thought) show on that DB stage, and as I came out into the crowd, I saw grandpa standing there with tears in his eyes. I knew he had been crying. I went over to him and grandma, hugged them both, and I'll never forget my grandpa's words as he hugged me: "That was a great show. I'm so proud of you." Grandpa passed away on St. Patrick's Day in 2001, and ever since, on every Sunday show I do, I pray the Hail Mary (just like we did at DB), ask for St. Genesius' prayer (DB again there), and tell grandpa, "This one's for you."

1 Comments:

At 19/7/05 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My song with my grandpa was meet me in St. Louis, and we did that show my junior year, (he died in 1997). I lost it every night.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home