Monday, August 29, 2005

moonmen

Video of the Year, Best Group Video, Best Rock Video, Viewer's Choice, Best Direction, Editing, and Cinematography. Green Day cleaned UP at the MTV VMA's this year for their latest album, "American Idiot". Out of eight nominations, the band walked away with seven awards--the first time since 1996 (when Smashing Pumpkins' "Tonight, Tonight" dominated). According to MTV.com, "...only two artists have done better: Peter Gabriel with 9 [awards] in 1987 and A-Ha with 8 [awards] in 1986...Before tonight, Green Day had won only one VMA: Best Alternative Video in 1998 for "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)".

I heard about Green Day when their album "Dookie" came out...in 1994. I was in 7th grade and I just had to have that album. My parents weren't too happy about it, but they let me get it. Dad drove me to the CD store on Watson (which is now a guitar shop), and I went in and grabbed it. I listened to that CD non-stop and have been a Green Day fan ever since. (Not saying I have posters and everything, but I do enjoy their music. Wish I still had that first CD, too...)

With the clean-up at the VMA's though, I think Green Day has shown that they have staying power. Some people may disagree, but that's my personal opinion. "We've been a band for 16 years," Billie Joe reminded viewers after winning Video of the Year. "This is what you dream about." I think any band that can stick around--and stay together--for 16 years has proved my point. And if they do eventually dis-band, they'll be a group you'll definitely remember.

2 Comments:

At 30/8/05 8:10 AM, Blogger ~stacey~ said...

Hey everyone's entitled to their opinions, aren't they?

 
At 30/8/05 5:27 PM, Blogger alli said...

I love green day! I didn't get to see the awards because I had to work late! Oh well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home