Thursday, October 27, 2005

family

News on both sides of the fence:
--Grandma had carpal tunnel release surgery on her right wrist / arm (the one that has lymphoedema caused by her breast cancer surgery several years ago) sometime last week. (My mother tends to keep me in the dark about these things, so I won't worry myself sick over it.) Her fingers were starting to tingle like they were asleep and go numb, so the doctors told her the surgery had to be done. Come to find out, her left wrist / arm is getting to be as bad as the right, so that one will have to be operated on sooner than later as well. I just hope her knees don't start acting up again--the woman's had I don't know how many knee surgeries, replacements included...

--My husband's aunt (my aunt-in-law?) had surgery to have a lump removed from her breast last Friday. She returned to the doctor yesterday for a follow-up, only to find that the lump was cancerous, and that the cancer has spread. She has been diagnosed with ductal carcinoma, which is cancer of the milk ducts in the breast. A return visit on Monday--including a bone scan, CT scan, and chest x-ray--will conclude how far it's spread, and what steps they can take to kill the disease before it becomes too widespread. Chemo and radiation are almost guarantees, but she will have a few choices as far as lumpectomy or masectomy. There are risks with both, as there is with any type of treatment, but there is MORE of a risk NOT to have anything done. I just ask that you keep us in your prayers. Thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home