Monday, October 17, 2005

politics

The deeper and more in depth I get into the community theatre circuit of St. Louis, the more I hear / learn about all the political BS that is involved. I heard some disturbing news last night about an old director of mine, and the more I think about it, the more pissed off I become. Some people (mostly the ones really involved with the politics) are so damn concerned with winning an Arts for Life award that they don't care who they step on, roll over, hurt, or crush in the process.

Community theatre is about working your ass off at rehearsals, making memories that last a lifetime, and performing on stage to enrich the cultural lives of people in the community. At least that's what it is to ME and many other performers.

But there are some people who have burned--and yet CONTINUE burning--bridges with those who used to support and stand by them the most. And if it continues, NO ONE is going to want to work with them because, soon enough, it will catch up to them and their reputations will begin to precede them. (And they won't be good reputations, either.)

So what do I do about all of this? I continue working my ass off at rehearsals, making memories that will last a lifetime, and performing on stage to enrich the cultural lives of others in the community. But others can't be so nearsighted as to forget why we do what we do. It's not about the accolades or awards. At least it shouldn't be.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not knocking the community theatre circuit here, nor am I becoming disheartened with my passion. My heart is in the theatre, and that's where it's been my entire life. To quote a friend of mine, "The stage is where I belong and I'll never look back."

BUT, I'll definitely never look into the political side of it, that's for damn sure.

1 Comments:

At 17/10/05 11:45 PM, Blogger alli said...

The sad thing is that a lot of people don't even know what an Arts for Life award is! Why the hell would people act like major asses just to get an honor that is a really cool thing to have, but honestly just isn't that big of a deal in the long haul! I noticed the politics in some of the last comm. productions I did, and it bugged me! It seems like a lot of theatre people are in shows to show up others, and the only reason those shallow people go to shows is to critique other's performances! What happened to liking theatre for it being fun?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home