Monday, November 28, 2005

culture

"Wicked" Saturday night at the Fox: SPECTACULAR!!!!! There were times I caught myself holding my breath, gripping Dustin's leg (sorry about the claw marks, honey!), laughing, crying, or simply just shaking my head in wonder and amazement. "Defying Gravity", which ends Act One, was awesome, and I loved the power in her (the actress who played Elphaba) voice. I wasn't too impressed with Fiyero--he just seemed a bit flat to me at times, and he wasn't all that great. The lady who was Glinda was born & raised in St. Louis--she was hilarious, wonderful, and just so damn cute. Was terribly disappointed we had an understudy (rather than Carol Kane) for Madame Morrible, but she still did a fine job. The Wizard (who used to be on the TV show "Married with Children") was great as well; I had no idea he could sing and dance. There was so much to see and watch; it was definitely a spectacle, a feast for the eyes. And if anyone has a spare ticket and need someone to go with them....well I wouldn't be opposed.... ;)

"Rent" last night at the Des Peres Cine: WOW. I went in to view a musical in the medium and context I'm not used to for this particular show: as a movie. One needs to go into "Rent" with that attitude, otherwise you will be sorely disappointed. If you go in expecting to see a taped performance of the musical, you won't like the movie. But if you go in with an open mind and expect to see a MOVIE version of a musical that, in some areas, has slight adaptations and changes (spoken song lyrics--"They're supposed to SING THERE!!!"), you will enjoy the movie. I LOVED it. Then again, I'm a "Rent"-head, too. Was pleased to see the original Broadway cast together on the big screen, and was very impressed with Rosario Dawson's protrayal of Mimi. Never knew she could sing and dance. AND, as my mom and I noticed: during the Life Support meeting, the first guy who stands up to sing (character name is Steve) might look familiar to some of you....Well, I did some research and found that he was one of the Bash Brothers in the "Mighty Ducks" movies. Very nice singing voice; I was impressed. Note to all who have yet to see it: bring tissues; you'll need them...

3 Comments:

At 28/11/05 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sniff* I am green with envy. I so wanted to see Wicked. Maybe it will come back...

 
At 29/11/05 1:51 PM, Blogger ~stacey~ said...

Christian, as always, your review is WONDERFUL!!! You really should do that for a living.
While I did VERY MUCH enjoy the movie version, I do prefer the stage version ANY DAY.
Hopefully I can convince my husband to watch this one when it comes out--he hated it at the Fox, but I think this one does better for those who have never seen it live to explain some of the background stuff. (Roger and April, Mimi's drug addiction / withdrawal, etc.)

 
At 30/11/05 7:43 AM, Blogger alli said...

Stacey, don't feel bad about your having an understudy for Madame Morrible, when I went to see Wicked, I saw Carol Kane, but Elphaba AND Glinda were both understudies! Elphaba was played by the girl who is normally Nessarose, and she was amazing!

As far as RENT goes, the one time I saw it on stage was at the fox, and it just was not that great. The show was fine, but there was such an "echo" from the band, and they were playing so loud that I could not understand a single word that was sung. I understand that it is a rock band,and that is how the show is supposed to be performed, but for anyone who did not already know the show, by the end, they probably didn't know exactly what happened because they couldn't hear! Because of this experience, I personally like the movie better. Maybe if I had a different theatrical experience I would feel differently!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home