Thursday, December 01, 2005

"Scooore....boooard...."

The hubby & I went to a highschool basketball game last night, for one of (if not THE) biggest rivalries in the St. Louis area: my alma mater, the Bishop DuBourg Cavaliers, versus the St. Mary's Ferries...oops, I mean Dragons. It was a great game, close all the way, with neither team ever up more than 2-6 points. One team would hit a basket, and the other team simply turned around and answered with one of their own. The fouls were being called a bit unevenly during the first half of the game--I think at one point, DB was up a ridiculous 9 fouls to St. Mary's 2. It was pretty bad.

I think my husband enjoyed the rivalry, considering as he said, "We never really had a big rivalry like this when I was in highschool." I felt like I was in highschool again, the way I laughed and cheered and clapped. The fans were back and forth all night: St. Mary's favorite chant, "Scooore...boooard..." ; DB answering with, "We got Reggie!" (A Senior who apparently left St. Mary's to attend DuBourg and now plays on the Varsity team.) Then St. Mary's would answer, "You can have him!" As usual, the Dragons' fans got incredibly quiet when their team was losing, and the Cavs would taunt, "Why so quiet?!" AND, in typical fashion, St. Mary's would break out their chant of old: "Southside Rapist..." Not in good taste, I must say.


But, the mighty mighty Cavaliers went on to beat the Dragons with a score of 69-58.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home