Friday, February 17, 2006

behind the times

The other night I finally got to see a movie that my husband has been pushing me to see since...well since forever. American History X was enthralling, and I couldn't take my eyes off the TV the whole time. It's...well, it's wow. That's the only word I can think of to describe it. It's quite the disturbing movie, especially once you think in your head, "There are people out there who actually believe in and do these things." Scary.

I've always been a fan of Edward Norton, even though I've only seen him in a couple of films. But I enjoy his work, and think he's talented as hell. He stars as Derek Vinyard, a neo-nazi skinhead whose hatred stems from the fact that his father was killed in the line of duty by a minority. After this powerful performance, I have come to the conclusion that Edward Norton is a god. He now ranks right up there with Johnny Depp.

Edward Furlong stars as Danny Vinyard, the little brother who learns from his brother's examples...and mistakes. The only other film I've really seen him in is the Terminator movies, but I think he's due a bit more credit for his talents than he is given.

You may remember Beverly D'Angelo as Mrs. Clark Griswold, and if you are anything like me, you may have a hard time envisioning her in a more serious role. Having never seen any movies she has been in other than the Griswold / National Lampoon series, I almost doubted her in a more meaty role. But, again, I had a change of heart. She plays Mrs. Vinyard, mother to Danny & Derek, and seems to only want the best for her family, not the neo-nazi skinhead lives that her sons have fallen into.

Also Fairuza Balk, Stacy Keach, Elliott Gould, and Ethan Suplee, I highly recommend this film as a must see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home