Sunday, March 05, 2006

open minded

Considering my blog has a bit of a running "gay issues" theme lately, this will be the last one, I promise. (At least until a right wing group pisses me off again with their bigotry.)

First, I would just like to say I am very grateful that my mother is so open-minded, accepting, and loving; I'm even more grateful that she has passed those traits on to me. Not many people I know have a mother who would be willing (and maybe even a little excited) about going to a gay bar on a Saturday night with her daughter and son-in-law to celebrate a drag queen's 30th birthday.

Second, I would like to say how grateful I am for an open-minded husband. Six years ago, I never would have thought Dustin would become so open-minded and willing to try new things as he has become. But I'm very happy that he has.

Last night was Tajah Mahal (Greg's) 30th birthday celebration at the Grey Fox Pub on South Spring Avenue. Since Dustin had been before, I knew his feelings on the whole thing, but I kept watching my mom's face throughout the show to gauge her reactions. As I said, my mom is a very open-minded person who has been exposed to gay people, and has a few gay friends, but a drag show is definitely a different experience. I wasn't uncomfortable taking her; she is, after all, one of my best friends, and I share everything with her. However, I was a little nervous knowing that the show sometimes gets kind of raunchy and mouthy, so I wasn't sure how she would take that. As part of me figured, she handled it very well, smiled nearly the entire time, and giggled at the jokes, no matter how filthy they were.

Another thing I just have to say is this: these performers rule their world. At one point, Michelle McCausland (one of the performers) commented that she felt slim. The audience giggled, and she retorted, "Hey, I created this world, and if I want to be skinny, damnit, I will be skinny!" I started thinking as we sat watching the show, and I realized that I guess that is one of the appeals of the drag show for me. These 'women' have created their world in which they are allowed to say what they want to say, do what they want to do, and be who they want to be. They don't give a damn what "outsiders" may think of their personalities and show, and they're quick to point that out. It's an attitude of, "You may think this is a freak show, but I know I look good, and that's all that matters, damnit." To be honest, it's an attitude I envy.

They are all gracious, genuine, warm, and open people who have sometimes the most mundane, "normal" day jobs. (One is a mailman, for example.) But at night, this is who they are, and it's what they enjoy doing. As stupid as it may sound, there are some men who want them, and some women who want to be them. (I have to admit, they look damn good, and I wish I had half the poise and confidence that many of them exude.) They are beautiful people, inside and out, and I'm happy and proud to say that I have friends who embrace their lifestyles, don't give a damn what other may think, and graciously share their lives with their friends and family.

4 Comments:

At 5/3/06 5:49 PM, Blogger Rhonda said...

WOW! Well said.

 
At 6/3/06 8:37 AM, Blogger ~stacey~ said...

Thanks, Rhonda. Feel free to come back and read anytime!

 
At 10/3/06 3:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! This is a great post! And I feel the same way about my mom :) We're pretty open in my family - 2 of my 3 sisters are gay.

 
At 11/3/06 5:35 PM, Blogger ~stacey~ said...

Awesome; I love the fact that some people are so open-minded, loving, and accepting. That's fabulous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home