Wednesday, April 05, 2006

they have funnel cakes?!

My dad was nice enough to give Dustin & I two tickets to last night's minor league baseball game, the first game to be played at the new Busch Stadium. Springfield beat Memphis, but I wasn't really paying attention to the score or the game, anyway. I was too busy taking in the new sights and sounds...

Complaints?
1) TOOO MANY STEPS. For 2 people out of shape--as in my husband & I--climbing the 5 flights of stairs to our seats turned out to be too much, leaving both of us hunched over and gasping for air by the time we reached the top. Too bad we hadn't seen the working elevator and escalator BEFORE we started climbing...
2) Concession stand lines were LOOONG. We stood in line literally for 1/2 hour to get our hot dogs and soda. The vendors didn't seem to know what they're doing quite yet, but I guess I should give allowance since it's new to them also. However, when the vendor short changed me $1 (after my correct amount of change was displayed on the screen for he AND I to see), I was a little peeved.
3) The seats are really close together. I know I've, um, expanded a bit, but I know it's not been by THAT much. They somehow seem closer together than they did at the old Busch, so it was a bit hard not to be distracted by that.

Bonuses?
1) More bathrooms, NO LINES!!! I didn't wait in a single bathroom line last night; I was amazed! There are bathrooms on each level, and all very accessible.
2) Each level is like a veritable carnival! Food stops are conveniently (too conveniently?) located at just about every exit for every section. The normal staples of a ball game are there--jumbo hot dogs, beer, peanuts, popcorn, nachos, etc.--but they also had extras: Hardees (in a ballpark?! oh the joys!), pizza, Dippin' Dots, and the grand daddy of them all: FUNNEL CAKES. They have funnel cakes! Happy happy joy joy!
3) The view is amazing. The cut-away portion of the stadium allowed for really pretty views of the courthouse, arch, and other St. Louis buildings. However, looking through the cut-away and seeing the rubble where old Busch once stood was a bit sad.

All in all, it will definitely take some getting used to before I call the new Busch "home". But it's a beautiful stadium overall, and more accessible than old Busch. Except for the steps! Damn the steps!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home