Wednesday, February 13, 2008

It's Not Easy Being Green

So many things come to mind for the color green...

St. Patrick's Day, of course.

Leprechaun


Generally seen by the frat generation in St. Louis as just another "holiday" excuse to get drunk (especially for those in Dogtown), St. Patty's Day is a little more somber for me. My grandfather (on my mom's side) passed away on that day eight years ago. I try to have a good time on St. Patrick's Day--on the rare occasions we go out and celebrate with various assortments of green food and beverage--but I can't help but think of him even more on that particular day. (More so than usual.) What a wonderful guy he was. There isn't a day that goes by that he's not in my thoughts and in my heart.

Four leaf clovers.
I find them every now and again; the most recent time being when DB's SAT did "Cats" 2 years ago. Back to grandpa for a minute, he used to come to my shows for the Sunday matinee performances. Every matinee show I've performed in since he's passed has been difficult, because part of me still expects to look out and see him smiling proudly in the audience. So during "Cats", the final show, I was sitting outside on the picnic table and happened to glance at the ground. There, right next to each other, were two perfect four leaf clovers. Call me silly, call me a dreamer, call it reaching. But I KNEW in my heart those were from my grandpa. One to wish me a good show, the other to tell me how proud of me he was, is, and always will be.

St. Timothy Catholic Church & School
My grade school. Once St. Timothy closed to merge with 2 or 3 other local parishes, the building became a gym / sort of rec center / worship center(?). I grew up in the parish, played soccer, softball, and basketball, and was proud to wear the green, white, and yellow uniforms with the 3 leaf clover on the front of the jerseys. I remember the typical Catholic school girl uniform (DEFINITELY not looking like some men's sexual fantasy version of said uniform) that was a jumper / blouse combo from K - 4th grade, and a skirt / blouse combo from 5th-8th. Penny loafers and knee high socks completed the jumper look, while Umbro shorts were all the rage to wear under your skirt once you hit the "big time" side of the hall.

Kermit the Frog
Because after all, it's not easy being green.

The Wizard of Oz.
A classic children's tale that's been somewhat reinvented with the introduction of the musical "Wicked" a few years back. I've always loved this movie...
world weary, lifelong friends you stumble across in the woods (my favorite was always the Scarecrow :-)

Friends


an ENTIRE city made of green

One Short Day


Ms. Margaret Hamilton as the Evil Ms. Gulch / Wicked Witch of the West

Margaret Hamilton

West

"Wicked", I have to say, has brought it to a whole new light for me. I fell in love with the original story all over again, as well as falling in love with the story of "Wicked"--what happened before Dorothy dropped in.
After all, the lovely and ever so talented Idina Menzel plays my favorite character (Elphaba)--and thereby sings, in my opinion, the best songs in the show.

...and have since become slightly obsessed.
I have the Wizard of Oz collectible Barbies

Barbie Munchkins

Wizard of Oz Cherished Teddies

Cherished Teddies

Salt & pepper shakers from Avon--one being Glinda's crown, the other being the Wicked Witch's hat
Not to mention tin signs, plastic figures, and several ornaments.
If anyone would like to shop for me, I really REALLY want this:

Door Stop!


The smaller, desktop version would do as well. :-)

3 Comments:

At 15/2/08 12:43 PM, Blogger Joan said...

I tried to comment a couple days ago, but Blogger hated me that day. I can totally relate to the school uniform deal - I wore one in high school, and it is so NOT the fantasy. But I laughed so hard over the Umbros - guess it wasn't just a S. Fl. thing! :)

I'm also a huge fan of The Wizard of Oz, and I love the door stopper! We've noticed some drafts in our house, so maybe we should get one, too.

 
At 16/2/08 10:49 PM, Blogger ~stacey~ said...

Oh yeah, the whole Umbro thing--the "cool" thing to do was to roll your uniform skirt at the waist, thereby making it shorter...so the Umbros would hang out the bottom!!! ha ha ha

 
At 19/2/08 12:42 PM, Blogger Joan said...

We often rolled the top of the skirt, too, but never got to the point of the umbros showing. They were very strict about the length of the skirts, especially in comparison to the top of the knee. And Sister Grace, the Dean of Students, was a serious enforcer. Still, many of us got away with a couple inches above the knee.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home