Friday, February 22, 2008

Poiple (a.k.a. Purple)

That's how my grandfather used to say it when he wanted to be silly: "Poiple". Curly, of the Three Stooges, also said it that way on occasion. Curly and my grandfather, to me, are one in the same person. My grandfather slightly resembled Curly, with his peach fuzz hair, crooked grin, and general goofiness.

And my personal favorite "poiple" relevance:
My father works at SJMMC (St. John's Mercy Medical Center, for those of you not familiar with the acronym) in Safety and Security. Since both of us have desk jobs (me more so than he), we sometimes spend a good deal of our respective days at work sending each other silly emails, quizzes, and forwards. I have to say, I've learned a lot about my father through these goofy quizzes he always responds to. Anywho. One day I sent him one of those generic "Things You Never Knew" emails with all kinds of random facts: i.e., you can't lick your elbow. (Go ahead and try, for shits and giggles.)

One of the "things you never knew" was, "There are no words that rhyme with 'purple' or 'orange'." And my father responds with, "Who wrote this thing, anyway??? Don't they know there IS a word that rhymes with purple??? 'Purple, purple, had to burple.' DUH."

Did anyone else ever hear those monster "rhymes" in grade school? We had a different color each week, in Kindergarten, I believe. The teacher would pass out a picture of a monster with a different color rhyme, and we had to color the monster correctly. For instance:

Red, red, lost his head.
Orange, orange, squished an orange. (Clever, huh?)
Pink, pink, sat in the sink.

And this was always my favorite:
Purple, purple, had to burple.

I always loved that one because "burple" was just such a cool word, and oh so much fun to say!

2 Comments:

At 6/3/08 8:51 PM, Blogger Dirty Gypsy said...

Wasn't a "burple" one of those plastic containers that could be stretched or shrunk, depending on what size you needed? They were accordion-like, like the neck of a bendy straw?

 
At 7/3/08 11:12 AM, Blogger ~stacey~ said...

Exactly!!! They sure were!!!
ha ha ha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home