Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Break out your dancin' shoes! (a late colorblog post!)

One guilty pleasure, total chick flick movie I have always adored is "Dirty Dancing". If I happen to catch it on TV, I'm stuck and unable to change the channel. As a kid, I would imagine I was Jennifer Grey, running down my parents' hallway, leaping slightly, and landing with my arms and legs outstretched, belly firmly planted over the arm of the couch. The couch was my Patrick Swayze, and I was NEVER scared to jump into its arms...so to speak.

Remember those snazzy SILVER shoes she wore in the movie?
They were similar to these:

Dirty Dancing


(I couldn't find any close-ups of the actual shoes anywhere on the net, sadly.)

So in highschool I dated a St. Mary's boy - I know, shame on me for being a Cavalier and dating a Dragon, right? - and was really excited when he asked me to go to his Homecoming. I bought a sleeveless, red shift dress that was very simple, but had some sparkly rhinestone accents along the neck. I wanted some snazzy shoes to wear with it (black simply wouldn't do!), so I remember my mom taking me to a shoe store on Cherokee to look for some slick heels. (I have abnormally large feet, and at the time, Payless just did NOT have cute shoes for those of us with gun boats.) I found a pair of silver heels and fell in LOVE with them. They reminded me so much of the shoes Jennifer Grey wore in "Dirty Dancing" that I just HAD to have them. Mom wasn't too sold on them, but after much begging & pleading from me (not to mention about $60 out of her pocket!), the shoes were mine.

I wore them to several more dances and events, simply because they were so darn comfortable - and sassy. There's no T-Strap on mine, the back is open, and the heels are chunkier, but I still absolutely ADORE these shoes! I doubt I'll honestly ever get a chance to wear them again...but yet I keep them!! Good memories in those shoes...
(I really wanted to post a picture of them, but haven't had a chance to snap away. As soon as I get a chance to take a picture of the ratty old things and post it, I will do so. :-)

1 Comments:

At 27/3/08 11:42 AM, Blogger Tracie said...

I'm totally behind on my commenting...but I HAD to jump in here on this one.

Don't tell anyone else, but I still LOVE that movie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home