Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The truth will set you free...

I pride myself on being an honest person. I voice my opinions, and am okay disagreeing with people. I'll tell you what I think, and why, when I think it. Unless, of course, I think it could hurt someone, or do more harm than good. In those cases, I usually just keep my mouth shut.

I found myself in a situation the other day. I 'fessed up something to an old friend. I'd never had the intention of saying anything to him, but found myself backed into a corner. It was one of those "the past is the past" instances, where I had deemed it necessary to just keep my mouth shut, and keep it to myself. However, after a slew of emails, I finally responded with: *sigh* "Ok. Here's the deal..." and then braced myself for his reaction. Surprisingly enough, it wasn't what I expected. He was a little peeved at first, but then assured me he wasn't mad, just caught off guard.

And to be honest, I'm glad it came up. I was tired of holding it in, and I feel much better for finally releasing it. Obviously, nothing that friends confide in me leaves my mind and heart, but I'm realizing that for me personally, it is okay to 'fess up to some things. Some little "nuggets" of information need to just be squashed before I exhaust myself from carrying them around. It's not an easy process, and it makes me totally uncomfortable, to be quite honest, but sometimes I think that's ok. It's what makes me human.

So, in certain instances, I'm starting to find it okay to just unleash the "Ok. Here's the deal..." flood gates.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home