Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Deflated...and encouraged!

I arrived at the "house" on 517 Theatre Lane nearly 1/2 hour early. Thank goodness for that, too, because parking is VERY limited near and around it. Lucky enough for me, I was able to get the last legal "spot" directly in front. (We were warned that Webster Groves DOES, indeed, tow. AND they ticket. Double whammy.)

Any passerby on the street would assume this was a normal “house” at first glance. From the outside, it sure looks like the stereotypical “Webster” home...that is, except for the "marquee" and bright lights in the front yard. Located off of Newport Road, the Theatre Guild of Webster Groves is tucked away on Theatre Lane, which slopes down into a little valley. Once inside, I could tell that it had indeed been someone’s home, albeit long ago. The double wooden doors in front opened to a small entrance way, with the large "sitting" room just beyond the threshold. Older looking chairs, couches, and settees were placed around the room, against the walls. Framed playbills from past shows (dating back more than 50 years!) adorned the walls, and there were more in albums on a small table in the entrance way. To my left were three tiny bathrooms, and a small kitchen. Directly on the other side of the sitting room was a doorway; I could tell there was at least one more room through it, possibly more? To my right were about 20 steps up to the auditorium.

The auditorium itself was small, yet cozy. Only about 100 seats filled the area, with a small wooden stage at the front. The set lingered onstage, with its bright yellow walls and blue trim. Two metal folding chairs sat, angled toward each other, at center stage.

The usual audition process applied: "fill out this card with your information, list previous show experience(s) on the back, as well as any conflicts you may have during the rehearsal process..." Scripts were passed around to anyone interested in skimming over them before the cold readings began. Once it was time, the director chose pages in the script at random, noted which characters were in that scene, and selected audition cards from the pile. The actors were called up to the stage, given their “roles” for the scene, and began. No definite stopping point was announced, until she would interject the scene with, “Ok, that’s good…you can stop there…thank you so much…”

Once everyone had read several different parts, several different times, she started zeroing in…this person would read this role 4 times over, while that person would read that role another 3 times over. It was obvious the cast was being narrowed down and formed in her head, and as I got up to read less and less, my chances seemed to shrink before my very eyes…

Everyone was sent downstairs to mingle and WAIT while the director, AD, and others involved with the production, discussed…and CAST the show. At least I think they cast the show…
About 25 minutes after we were first sent downstairs, the AD came down. She thanked everyone for auditioning, and let us know, “I’m going to call some names…would these people please come back upstairs so we can discuss further…and the rest of you may go. Thank you again for auditioning!”

Yep. My name wasn’t called. :-(
It is somewhat disappointing, I do have to admit. Kind of deflating to the ego, I guess because every show I've auditioned for in the last 4 years, I've made. I was really looking forward to getting out there more, spreading my wings. But I guess I wasn’t what they were looking for. At least I did it, though. I can focus on the fact that I DID IT. I didn’t chicken out, and even after J said he couldn’t audition with me, I sucked it up and went BY MYSELF. Not knowing ANYBODY ELSE THERE. That fact alone encourages me.

So, after a little pat on the back to myself…I’m already starting to check for other upcoming auditions!!!

2 Comments:

At 10/7/08 3:58 PM, Blogger Joan said...

Congratulations on having the courage to go through with it! You should definitely be proud of yourself. Just because you didn't make the show doesn't mean you weren't good enough or whatever. As you said yourself, maybe they were just looking for something different. It could be physical (i.e., they wanted someone shorter :-P), it could be the way you interpreted the role, etc. Who knows? You go, girl ... right out to other auditions! :)

 
At 11/7/08 3:36 PM, Blogger ~stacey~ said...

Thanks, Joan! I appreciate the comment!!!
I'm actually surprised at how well I'm handling it, and being so laid back about it. But I also know that there's really nothing I can do to change their decision. Personally, I thought I was better than some of the girls...but on the same token, I was not as good as others. All in how the director envisions it, I s'pose!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home