Friday, October 03, 2008

What a man...

Back in April, I did a post about my great uncle Walt, when the Belleville News Democrat ran a story about him. Sadly, he passed away early Wednesday morning. I visited him in the VA hospital Monday, and he was sedated the entire time I was there, but we were assured he could, in fact, hear us. I did find this to be true, as he kept moving his eyebrows as if he wanted to speak, and squeezing my hand as I held his in mine.

Last night was the wake, and I was fine up until the Free Masons did the walk through & Masonic service. My grandmother was sitting in the pew in front of me, and as the Masons walked in single file and took their individual turns saluting the coffin, I could see her shoulders start to shake. My thoughts immediately turned to my grandfather's funeral 8 years ago. Same funeral home, same room, same Masonic traditions. And I lost it. I leaned forward and draped my arms over her shoulders, and she reached up and took my hand in hers.

The funeral today was a very nice service as well. My cousin Cathy's (one of Uncle Walt's three daughters) husband Marty delivered a beautiful and very sentimental eulogy, outlining Uncle Walt's life. Born in 1926, he lived through the Great Depression and many other struggles. Uncle Walt graduated from East St. Louis High School, and later from Rankin Technical College. (The same college my brother attended.) He joined the Marines (at age 19, I believe) and served in World War II, spending 26 days in Iwo Jima. He struggled with a whole slew of medical problems, including PTSD from his time in the War, and COPD. Through all of his trials and tribulations, he never complained. He was a simple man who never focused on what he DIDN'T have; instead, he thanked God every day and was proud for what he DID have. He loved my Aunt Eva with all of his heart and soul, and there was not a day that went by that he didn't tell her she was the most beautiful woman in the world, and he loved her dearly.

Marty also spoke of their vacation several years back to Washington, DC. Marty & Cathy took Uncle Walt & Aunt Eva to Washington, DC to see the WW II Memorial and statues. The four of them strolled around together, taking in the sights. Uncle Walt shook hands with other vets, smiled, and shed tears for those that weren't lucky enough to make it home as he did. At one point, the four of them drifted off their own separate ways. Eventually three of them met back up and started heading back to Uncle Walt on his motorized scooter. The sight they saw was incredible, and I only wish I had been lucky enough to witness it. As they approached him, they noticed him fumbling with his oxygen tank and tubes, struggling to get up off of his scooter. They stopped, wondering what in the world he was doing. And they watched as he raised himself up, stepped off the scooter, and solemnly saluted the memorial, tears streaming down his cheeks. And then they watched as nearly 200 people stopped in THEIR tracks to see this man honoring the soldiers who had served alongside him. Marty said you could have heard a pin drop.

He also spoke of how, at one time, he asked Uncle Walt, "What does complete freedom mean to YOU?" And Uncle Walt replied, "Complete freedom, to me, is when I leave this world behind and am in heaven, standing at the Pearly Gate. And I can look Jesus in the eye and tell him, and believe, I have done my part." And boy did he ever do his part. He raised three wonderful daughters, who became excellent mothers. He instilled in his male grandchildren the proper way to treat a woman - with respect - and to honor them as they would their mother. He didn't put up with any BS, but in his own quiet way, he would tell you when he thought you were wrong and / or out of line.

The man, to me, was the patriarch of the family. He said the blessing every year when we gathered together, entire extended family, at Thanksgiving. He thanked God for our food, for the joy of family, and for love and life. He had a way of making you feel special. There could be 90 people in between you and he, and he would single you out from across the room: "Stacey, come over here and give your Uncle Walt a hug!" He made time to chat with everyone at a gathering, never hurrying conversation, never raising his voice. He stood when women and family entered the room, handshakes for the men, and hugs for the women. He attended Church religiously, and had an incredible faith in God.

I firmly believe Uncle Walt DID his part. And I firmly believe that he is now standing at the Pearly Gate, and Jesus is telling him, "Walter, you DID do your part. Welcome." What a man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home