Friday, November 07, 2008

Accuse me of trying to wax poetic, but...

...On November 4, 2008, I witnessed history.

America elected its first ever African American president. Barack Obama won in a landslide - 349 electoral votes to John McCain's 162.

I, for one, am proud that people in this country voted for a man (quoting Dr. King here), "not because of the color of his skin, but because of the content of his character".

It was so neat, while watching his numbers climb, to look at the TV and say, “However small of a part I played, I VOTED for that man. MY VOTE COUNTED. I helped choose the next leader of our country.” How cool is it that we live in a country where that is possible?!?!

I believe that President Obama can, and will, lead this country confidently;
that, under his leadership, our country will change for the better.
It may be a slow, long, and grueling road, but I have faith that it will happen.

I believe that he represents the middle class family - more than any other president I have witnessed in my lifetime;
that he is really pulling for us.
I'm not expecting to become a millionaire, but I have faith that everything within his power will be done to lift us out of the economic crisis we are currently in.

I believe that he will roll up his sleeves, in turn inspiring us Americans to do the same;
that he will dig in and "get his hands dirty", so to speak, to FIX what is / has been going wrong.
He may not be able to work miracles, but at least he will be taking an active role to improve our country as a whole.

Barack Obama inspires me.
To have HOPE for my future, and my unborn childrens' futures...
To want CHANGE...and to know that change IS possible...
And to believe in PROGRESS. I am more proud now than I ever have been to be an American.

(The entire transcript of his Presidential Acceptance speech can be found here if you are interested.)

2 Comments:

At 7/11/08 4:02 PM, Blogger Joan said...

I don't want to get into a huge political discussion - my latest blog entry is pretty clear about that. However, I do want to point out one thing. While it is certain many people voted for Obama because of his character or issues or however you want to describe an informed voter, it is equally as certain that many people voted for him simply because of the color of his skin. It's just the exact opposite of the way MLK, Jr. talked about it.

 
At 7/11/08 4:28 PM, Blogger ~stacey~ said...

I do agree with you on that one, Joan.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home