Saturday, December 13, 2008

More movies

What Happens in Vegas
(Ashton Kutcher, Cameron Diaz)
Two people discover they've gotten married following a night of debauchery. One of them wins a huge jackpot ($3 mil, to be exact) after playing the other's quarter. The unhappy pair try to undermine each other and get their hands on the money -- falling in love along the way.

Good:
--Chemistry between Diaz and Kutcher. They interact and have a natural chemistry on screen, as if they’ve been the best of friends for years off screen. Pair these two up more often.
--The whole movie is just silly, but in a good way. The two stars’ comedic timing and interaction is pretty impeccable.
--Really good romantic comedy. Because it HAS both elements, and a perfectly balanced amount of each that aren’t too “in your face”. Even though you know what’s coming (they fall in love, duh), it’s not overly sappy.

--Fave quotes:
“I’m the law, bitch!”
“If I could kill someone with my mind right now, it would be you.”
" I'd rather do nothing and be happy than do something I know I don't love.”

Bad:
--To be honest, I didn’t find much bad in the movie. There are “Kelso” moments in Kutcher’s performance – which I expected – but they weren’t out of place. His character in the film is pretty adolescent, so it fit.

Consensus: Much like my consensus of “Step Brothers”, I say rent it. I plan on buying it, but for those of you who are unsure, rent first. If you enjoy romantic comedies, I’m pretty sure you’ll dig it.

Mr. Woodcock
(Sean William Scott, Billy Bob Thornton, Susan Surandon, Ethan Suplee)
Taken aback by his mother's wedding announcement, a young man returns home in an effort to stop her from marrying his old high school gym teacher, a man who made high school hell for generations of students.

Good:
--Thornton. Billy Bob is nails as the stereotypical asshole gym teacher that SO many people can relate to having in school. (Mr. Laumann. Freshman year. Former drill sergeant. You can guess what kind of hell he put us through.) Billy Bob plays it straight. Some of the lines weren’t all that funny, but Thornton’s monotone delivery made them hysterical.
--An appearance by one particular comedienne from Saturday Night Live. She has a small role, but manages to steal every scene in which she appears.

--Fave quotes:
"Could I get a real bottle, please? I'm an alcoholic, not a Barbie doll."
"You must like getting spanked, Farley. I guess it runs in the family."
"Sorry is for criminals and screw-ups... and I'm neither one."

Bad:
--Sean William Scott. Normally I like him, but in this film I thought his performance was just kinda “eh”. I felt a different actor would have developed & played the character better than he did. He just didn’t seem a good “fit” for that particular role.
--Not as funny as I expected / anticipated.
--Ethan Suplee playing the same character he always does. The big dumb oaf. Watch the TV show “My Name is Earl” – the character he plays on the TV show is pretty much the character he plays in this movie.

Consensus: Rent and watch it only if you have nothing else to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home