Sunday, January 25, 2009

Inauguration

As promised - albeit late - my thoughts on the inauguration. Many people I'm sure have covered this, and everyone has their soapbox. So why should I be any different? I always feel the need to voice my opinion, so here I go again.

I've never been one for politics, which I‘m sure you all know. I've never watched an inaugural address all the way through. I vaguely remember watching the oath-takings of Clinton and Bush, but clicked off before the actual speeches.

Truth be told, I never really CARED before. But with the historical significance of this particular election / inauguration, I found myself tuning in more and more, paying attention, actually REALLY rooting for one particular candidate. I found myself realizing that things COULD REALLY CHANGE. But for the better.

You all also know by now, I'm an Obama supporter.

I find myself wondering if my parents had the same kinds of thoughts in past years when they voted or watched the inaugurations: the person who is chosen as president is someone about whom my children will one day learn.

Not only will my children learn that Barack Obama became the 44th President of the United States; they will also learn the other historical significance. That of him being the first African American President.

They will learn about other African Americans who helped pave the way in the hopes that a day like this would eventually be possible. They will learn that these peoples’ hopes, dreams, and wishes were NOT out of their reaches. It took years and years for them to come to fruition, but it was not all in vain. Given the past, many older generations of African Americans did not think they would live to see this day. And, sadly, many did not.

In my opinion, it was a day to be proud. Not only for those of African American descent, but for all Americans in general. Though the hatred of racism still exists in our nation to this day, baby steps have been taken along the way to overcome it. This was not only a huge step in the right direction; it was a giant leap.

Dr. King said, “I have a dream…that a man shall one day be judged not by the color of his skin, but by the content of his character.” That hour, that time, that day, is here. In a previous post, I mentioned that many people would not vote for Obama because of the color of his skin. And Joan quickly pointed out that there would also be people who “DID and WILL vote for him because of the color of his skin.” I agree. But I think that shows a lot. I think it shows that people listened to him. REALLY listened to his words: “It’s time for a change.” Not only is it time for a change in our economy and in our government, but it’s time for a change in which we view people. Mainly, the color of his skin will have no bearing on the things that he hopes to accomplish while in the White House.

I believe that President Obama will lead this nation in the right direction. I am not so foolish to believe that it will all happen overnight. It will take time. Maybe even years. But I believe that he will inspire us to come together as a nation. To “pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off.”

I’ve said this before, but I’ll say it again: I have more hope for my own future, my unborn children’s’ futures, and the future of the entire United States, than I think I ever have.

Obama’s inaugural address gave me goose bumps. Watching it, I was enthralled. And I kept thinking to myself, “I am witnessing history.” And, one day, I can tell my children that I was sitting in Katie’s office at work, huddled around her computer, watching it unfold before me, thanks to the wonderful technology of the internet and streaming live video.

Obama’s speech inspired me. I may not be able to change the world, but if I can impact or influence just ONE person to view things differently, in a better light, than I feel as if I’ve made a contribution to society. It may just be a ripple in the pond, but by God, it is something.

“The time has come to reaffirm our enduring spirit; to choose our better history; to carry forward that precious gift, that noble idea, passed on from generation to generation: the God-given promise that all are equal, all are free, and all deserve a chance to pursue their full measure of happiness.” (President Barack Obama's Inaugural Address; January 20, 2009)

I couldn’t agree more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home