Friday, January 02, 2009

Iron Man quick review

Iron Man
(Robert Downey, Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Terrence Howard, Jeff Bridges)
When wealthy industrialist Tony Stark is forced to build an armored suit after a life-threatening incident, he ultimately decides to use its technology to fight against evil.

Good:
--Donwey, Jr. The past couple of movies in which I’ve seen him have made him climb my list of favorite actors. This movie’s no exception of showcasing his talent. His dryly sarcastic wit lent itself perfectly to the quick delivery of lines..
--The suit. Looks almost exactly like the comic book’s red & gold interpretation. Not to mention that the thing is just BITCHIN’.
--Gwyneth Paltrow. I like her to start off with, and she’s particularly smooth in this role. Her character toes the line of “personal assistant / I’m in love with my boss”.

--Fave quotes:
“So you're a man who has everything, but nothing.”
“I don't want to see this on your myspace page. Please no gang signs…No, throw it up. I'm kidding.”
“*They* say that the best weapon is the one you never have to fire. I respectfully disagree. I prefer the weapon you only have to fire once.”

Bad:
--One scene in particular. A “prisoner” of sorts gets out of the cave to “distract” / keep the bad guys at bay. He comes out wielding a machine gun, and three bad guys (also armed with machine guns) turn and run from him. WTF??

Consensus: Buy it. I went in with low expectations, and any time Dustin suggested renting it, I gave one of three answers: “I don’t want to see it.“ “Not interested.“ “Eh, maybe some other time.” I should have watched the damn thing the first time he brought it up. Even if you don’t appreciate comic books and superheroes, I’m almost positive you’ll dig this movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home