Friday, January 16, 2009

It's that time again...

For movie reviews! Yay!! These ones, however, are...well...you'll see...

The Strangers
(Scott Speedman, Liv Tyler)
A young couple staying in an isolated vacation home are terrorized by three unknown assailants.

Good:
--Liv Tyler. Just for the simple fact that she’s smoking hot and something good to look at in the movie.
--Scott Speedman. Again, a looker. And that’s about it.
--Creepiness factor - I’ll give it a 7. At least in the beginning. I‘m a chicken shit when it comes to horror movies anyway, but the first part did its job of keeping me on the edge of my seat. And squirming in uncomfortable fear.

--Fave quotes:
“Why are you doing this?“ “Because you were home.”

Bad:
--It becomes a stereotypical horror film about halfway through. As I said above, the first part I felt was legitimately creepy. But after that, it was a typical slasher horror flick.

Consensus: I wouldn’t particularly bother with this one. Of course, you can always rent it, watch halfway through, turn it off, and then think of how a typical slasher horror flick ends: lots of blood, crazies, and death. Capiche?


Mirrors
(Kiefer Sutherland, Amy Smart, Mary Beth Peil)
An ex-cop and his family are the target of an evil force that is using mirrors as a gateway into their home.

Good:
--Kiefer Sutherland. Because he’s sexy. And I like his voice. The way, when he speaks, he’s at normal volume, then slowly dips to a whisper. But I digress.
--If you’re into nudity (and Amy Smart), you’ll dig a quick little scene in the movie. Full butt. Side boob. Didn’t do anything for me, but you horny guys out there might use the “pause” button.
--Creepiness factor - I’ll give it a 9. Much like I said about “The Strangers”, it’s the beginning part of the movie that‘s super creepy. Again, being a chicken shit, it doesn’t take much in a horror film to scare me. However, I much prefer insinuations (doors opening and closing with no one around, odd noises that come from nowhere, and things that fuck with your - or the character’s - mind) to blood, guts, gore, monsters, etc. This movie definitely had the unseen factors going for it.
--Mary Beth Peil. She didn’t have a large role in the film, but was central to the plot and grand scheme of things. I recognized her voice once she came into play, but it wasn’t until I saw a clear shot of her that I knew who it was. “Grams” from “Dawson’s Creek”. I haven’t seen much that she’s in, but I think she’s a pretty good actress.

--Fave quotes:
“Don't be scared, mommy. He just wants to come play with us.”

Bad:
--A death in the opening sequence was a bit overdone.
--And again, why must ALL horror films nowadays turn to the stereotypes??? I don’t want to give away the ending or too much of it, but towards the end, any hint of fear I felt quickly dissipated and I found myself sitting there just rolling my eyes and watching the clock.

Consensus: Yet another one I wouldn’t recommend. All I can say is thank goodness for the Blockbuster pass that gives us free rentals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home