Tuesday, January 13, 2009

New Year, (hopefully) new me.

I am finally tired of just sitting around b*tching, not doing anything about it. It's time, for me, to sh*t or get off the pot already.

I'm taking baby steps starting out. I LOVE fruits and vegetables, and "healthy" foods - some of them, anyway - so it's not a huge deal to me to EAT healthier. It's just actually getting into the HABIT of grabbing the carrot sticks instead of the cookies. Or remembering to pack a 100 calorie snack pack into my lunch bag, because I KNOW that, by 3:00, I'm going to be feigning for some sweets, and that pack of Oreos will look sooo good.

I'm also trying for smaller portion sizes - though that is HARD!

A friend of mine seems to think I should throw myself in head first and do it all at once: Give up the sweets! Exercise like a fiend! Only eat salads!

However, I know myself. I'd last a day. Maybe 2.

So for now, baby steps. I've done pretty well the past two weeks. I've already been drinking more water, limiting myself to ONE DIET soda per day, and cutting out the fast food. (We won't discuss last night's Sbarro's slice of cheese pizza and two breadsticks...) I'm also trying to make a conscious effort to keep track of the foods I eat, when I eat them, etc.

OF COURSE, this ALSO means I have to get off my lazy butt now and then. Which, again, I am trying to make a conscious effort to do. It's pretty cold here in St. Louis right now, and getting colder as the week progresses. I tried to take advantage of the 40 degree weather, and took a 15 minute walk on my lunchbreak. I also shopped after work, walking through West County Mall for a good half hour. It's the motivation that gets me, really. I love to jog - though I'm too out of shape to do that right now - and be outside; I just have to get myself up and moving. Then I'm fine. I've found that, with a camera in my hand, walks don't seem NEAR as long as they do w/out a camera.

Remember, baby steps here, people. Baby steps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home