Wednesday, January 14, 2009

SparkPeople

SparkPeople is the website I have been / am using for my weight loss / healthier eating journey / goal. I know someone introduced this site to me last year, but I can't remember if it was Christy, or Joan, or someone else completely. I began half-heartedly last year, but quickly fell off the wagon. This year, I believe it's time to actually follow through instead of just bitching.

Anywho.

I HIGHLY recommend this site if you are looking to lose weight, or just lead a healthier lifestyle. It would take a while for me to explain ALL the benefits of the site and what it offers, so I'll just post the welcome message you receive when you sign up, then add my own little two cents' worth.

"Congratulations! You’ve taken a huge step by joining millions of other people who are trying to live healthier lives. SparkPeople has more tools, content, and community features than any other health website, so you may feel a little overwhelmed at first. That’s why we created this guide - to introduce you to your personalized program and help you start using the site’s tools and features.

1. Review your goals for nutrition, fitness and weight loss. (Your goals can range from losing weight by a certain date, to simply eating healthier, to making sure you get in 1/2 hour walk each day. It's completely up to you!)
2. Track your Fast Break goals to build momentum. ("Fast Break" is the first 2 - 3 weeks. This gives you plenty of time to get into the habit of entering your daily nutrition, browsing / getting used to the site, and gearing up to go full swing into a healthier way of living.)
3. Read the SparkDiet Overview to get started. (Lists and explains the 4 Spark Diet stages, and gives an overview of diets in general.)
4. Use the Nutrition Tracker to meet your nutrient goals. (I keep track of everything I eat, everyday. EVERYTHING. From bottles of water, to crackers, to full out meals. It's tough at first, but once you get used to it, it's SO helpful. Seeing exactly how many calories, fat grams, etc. I am eating per day is the slap in the face motivation I need to eat better.)
5. Log your workouts on our Fitness Tracker. (Ehh, I'm not so good at this one. "It's SUPER COLD outside!" is an excuse right now, but it's just that. An excuse. I love to walk and be outdoors, so when the weather is frigid, I don't have much motivation to do much of ANYTHING. But I have been getting myself to at least do steps here in the office building.)
6. Introduce yourself to our positive Community. (There are THOUSANDS of people using this website across the country. Even if you don't actually talk to any of them, reading others' stories and struggles can sometimes be motivation and support enough. Just knowing that, "Hey, I'm not the only one!")
7. Create your SparkPage and then make a blog post to tell others about you. (Like a myspace or facebook page, yes, but this one is a GOOD waste of time.)
8. Browse SparkRecipes for healthy meal ideas. (And there are some GOOOOOOD ones on there. I just discovered that section of the website yesterday, but I will definitely be making some of the meals...and blogging about how good they are, plus posting the recipes!)
9. Earn SparkPoints as you explore the site. (More motivation! You can earn points by reading articles, posting to message boards, etc. And then you can use those points to buy "presents" for yourself as a reward!)
10. Get helpful information from our Resource Centers. (They have resources and information on different aspects of healthy living, including but not limited to nutrition, fitness, and wellness.)

Check this site out. Even if you don't use it. But it's sooo worth it!!!

2 Comments:

At 17/1/09 9:41 PM, Blogger Joan said...

Kudos to you! I used SparkPeople to lose 20 pounds and successfully transition into a healthier lifestyle last year. I may have mentioned it to you, but I can't remember either. Anyway, I love the Nutrition Tracker - it really does make you face facts, and it helped me learn to make better decisions about what I put in my mouth. I wasn't as good about the exercise, especially at first, but remember every little bit counts. There were days I'd go into the stairwell at work for 5 minutes or so to do one of their strength exercise suggestions, or go up & down the stairs. But I did it several times a day, and that adds up. One thing about stairs I learned the hard way - make sure you wear supportive shoes (most office-type shoes aren't), and be aware that going down stairs puts more (possibly dangerous) strain on your joints. You might want to take the elevator down, and then just climb up. And once you start building up your strength and endurance, you'll find you'll be able to do more, and it will actually feel GOOD! I think the two best things about SparkPeople are that it has so many different resources, you can pick & choose what works well for you, and it's all FREE! Congrats & keep taking those baby steps!

 
At 18/1/09 1:53 AM, Blogger ~stacey~ said...

I agree. I love the website. I usually wear tennis shoes to work, and at least try to do a bit on my lunch break. Even if it's only 15 minutes. On warmer days - well, when it GETS there - I'll walk around the building. But on colder days, I'll literally just wander the halls and walk the steps several times.
People ask, "Are you on a diet?" And I wouldn't say that I am, persay, but I definitely am at least trying to be more conscious about what I eat, and watching my portion control.
At home is the hardest as far as motivation goes. Eating is getting easier, as far as making better decisions; it's just the moving around motivation. I'm sure once it gets warmer out, it will be easier! I hope!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home