Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Theateritis

"Dial M for Murder"
As you know, I'm Assistant Directing / Stage Managing the show. I've never worked with this group of people before (MASC), and though it has nothing to do with the actual people, I felt out of place in the beginning. It was more an inner conflict - I didn't (and don't) want to say / do too much, step on toes, etc.; however, I also don't want to look or feel as if I'm sitting back doing nothing. So I've been as proactive as possible, searching for and obtaining props / set decorations, researching 1950s London, costumes, etc., and trying to convey to the actors what is still needed. All in all, though, rehearsals are going smoothly - the director and actors all really have their sh*t together. Thursday night is their first "off book" rehearsal, but some of the actors have already started going off book...as of a couple of WEEKS ago. Yea, it's not perfect - when is theatre EVER "perfect"? - but everyone's putting in their all and doing a fabulous job. It's one hell of a cast / place / group, if I do say so myself.


St. Louis Actors Studio
I had my first EVER professional theatre company audition Monday night. My "pop" (John C) suggested a while back that I email the STLAS, and try to get involved. I finally received a reply from them last week. My audition slot was scheduled for 8pm - 9pm Monday night but they were running behind. One of the directors came down to get me around 8:45pm and told me to follow him up to the audition space. (BTW, if you folks have never seen this place, you've got to at least stroll by some afternoon - the audition space was held at 358 North Boyle, and the Gaslight Theatre itself is at 360 North Boyle. The audition space reminded me of what I imagine a fun NYC loft to look like.) Long story short, throughout the night I read 3 sides, auditioning for 2 different directors.
Side 1 - A scene of characters Molly & Beane from the show "Love Song"
BOMBED this one. I was TOTALLY unprepared, no time to go over or meet my scene partner beforehand.
Side 2 - A scene of characters Vinnie & Sammii from the show "Proposals"
Slightly more comfortable, and got to play up the dimwitted mentality of the character. I was paired w/ an easy going 30-something guy named Darren who put me at ease w/ a quick rehearsal and much conversation before the audition itself, which totally helped.
Side 3 - A scene of characters Burt & Josie from the show "Proposals"
My best audition of the night. I actually got matched up with John C...to do a scene of father and daughter. I couldn't help but play it natural - the guy's always been like another father to me, so it went rather smoothly.
Pop told me things were pretty chaotic that night, and there were so many people there that it may be weeks before we hear anything.

Stray Dog Theatre
Auditions are tonight at 7:45pm. I feel a *little* more comfortable auditioning for a professional company, though I'm still nervous as hell. I can't help but wish I had some professional headshots...but I certainly don't have the couple hundred $ that are required. My 8x10, printed at Walgreens, and taken by the ever so wonderful Ms. Teri D, will just have to do for now! I had a choice to do a prepared monologue or cold reading for my audition; I chose the cold reading. I'd much rather do that. And to be honest, I didn't have the time or energy to dig up and memorize a monologue. Maybe next time.

To be honest, I'm really kind of proud of myself. This is really the first time I've taken a huge LEAP outside my comfort zone. I've slowly been edging into auditioning and helping out with theatre groups that are new to me, so why not add professional theatre on to that? What have I got to lose, honestly? They tell me no...they tell me no. On to the next. They tell me yes...I scream like a little girl, probably, then tell everyone I know how damn excited I am!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home